Tuesday 27 August 2013

Why I Believe Extraterrestrial Life is Possible

WARNING. If you have not guessed already from the title, this is not a beauty post, this is a science post. I thought I'd mix things up a bit. Also I can't think of any beauty/fashion post to write at the moment.

Some of you guys will probably dismiss this and think of me as crazy but I honestly think that there could be life on other planets. Why, you ask? Well its pretty simple. Take a look at this picture:


I found this picture on a website called imgur.com. I'm pretty well going to say everything that the post on imgur said, so if you would like to take a look at the post itself, just click here and it will take you to the website. OR you could keep reading, it's up to you. 

So about the picture. This picture was taken by the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) around 2003/2004. Basically the HST found a little black, and what appeared to be empty, area in the night sky and focused on in for 4 months so it could take in all the light it could and it came up with the image you see above. The black spot was about a tenth of the size of the full moon. Each dot in this image is a galaxy. Each galaxy contains up to 1 trillion (1,000,000,000) stars. Each star may have a system of planets. There are over 10,000 galaxies in the picture above.

Our galaxy contains approximately 100 billion (100,000,000) stars. Lets say that each star has a minimum or 1 planet, keep in mind that the star that we orbit around (the sun) has 8 planets (sorry Pluto!). That is at least 100 billion planets in our galaxy alone. Lets say that each of the galaxies in the picture has the same amount of planets as the Milky Way. That would be 1,000,000,000,000 planets. And that's just a fraction of what else could be out there. 

Can you honestly tell me that out of the more than 1,000,000,000,000 planets out there, that only 1 of them can sustain life? Can you honestly say that there is no way that there could be ANY other planet that has intelligence on it or an ecosystem thriving on it? Well, personally, I think that it is possible. I think it is possible that there is life outside Earth. 

Just so I make myself clear, I do not believe that aliens or extraterrestrial life have visited Earth. However, my opinion does change with new information, so if someone showed me solid evidence that aliens have been on Earth, then I might change my opinion on that. But until that has been proven to me, I do not believe that aliens come and leave crops circles or abduct humans. But I do believe that somewhere out there, in the vast mystery of space, there could be a planet with a thriving ecosystem and maybe even a species as advanced, both biologically and maybe even technologically, as humans. 

This is just my point of view, I do not mean to offend anyone in any way and if I have then I apologize, and I am in no way forcing you to believe what I believe. 

If you would like to learn more on this topic, here is the Hubble website: http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/hubble_deep_field/ . And hey, if you want even more, you know how to use Google ;). 

No comments:

Post a Comment